Saturday 11 July 2015

The summer holidays have finally arrived...

The summer holidays are now here!! Yes, I'm fortunate enough to have 7 weeks off work over the summer (if it makes you feel any better- I don't get paid for it!) But I really do cherish the time off. 
 Especially this year! Now I really have no excuse to get things looking as good as I can until the winter comes around and I can start my winter project.

Over winter I am going to create raised beds across the plot. 
 While I have actually discovered that yes, clay soil is a bit of a pain because it's quite hard work, but to be honest, everything I've planted so far, flower or vegetable doesn't seem to care! Clay soils retain much more nutrients. Unlike sandy soils where when it rains everything is washed away, the clay soils helps retain that, and retains the water so things don't have to be watered as frequently over the summer. I have realised that despite it being a relatively heavy clay soil on my plot, it fortunately seems to drain really well. However, I think raised beds will help manage things. I have learned already that I don't need to plant a million of one thing! After all, there's just me and my husband (and our bunny) so I'm thinking smaller beds but a fair few- then I will be able to grow a range of things and a sensible amount!

However- for now, I am working on taking advantage of the sunshine and the warmer weather. 
 My shed is getting there! There's now some cute little flowering plants in the pot on the front of the door. I am going to add a few paving slaps in front, then I'm going to plant some things around it and add further plants up the left side.


I am also going to sort the inside out. Here is my little shelving unit at the moment. We currently have cucumber, tomatoes, jalapeƱos, bell peppers, aubergines and there are some leeks waiting to be planted out which I've grown from seed. 
 I am going to paint the inside of the shed as well (in cream- why not?!) not only will it make it even nicer but it will also help protect the wood. 
 I'm also going to add a few shelves and hooks to spread things about. 


Always scowering for useful free things, my husband came across these windows in our back alley. They're lovely old windows, perfect for making cold frames from! Another project for the winter!



No comments:

Post a Comment