Monday 6 July 2015

Our first proper harvest...

Now that the shed is up and things are starting to feel more together, I am desperate to have more flowers around the allotment. I love having loads of lovely colour that just shouts out when you walk in. So I was very excited the other day when I walked into the allotment and noticed some gorgeous poppies around the outside! They're huge, and the bees were already sitting inside doing their job! I think poppies are one of my favourite flowers. I love how delicate their petals look, yet they manage to cling to the most ugly of road sides. So it's safe to say I definitely won't be up-rooting these! 


A few days ago I also realised how crazy the area around the pond has become! But, it's what I intended- and while it may be looking a bit messy and wild for some, this part of the allotment is for wildlife (and for me to admire) so I don't want to be disturbing it too much. Scattered amongst the grass is various wildflowers, and of course plenty weeds. But that's ok! In fact- it was baby frog day!! We suddenly realised their were baby frogs hiding everywhere under the grass and plants- so it's definitely doing it's job! 


I love how the pond is looking at the moment. Especially amazing since I got the solar powered oxygenator! And the froglets seem quite happy too- a fair few were hiding under the plants and lily pads. 
(Though I think this photo looks a little like a froglet being chased by Pacman!) 


Watching the pond and how things life in and around it, there's a few things I want to add. I want a few more larger rocks around the edges for frogs to use to climb in and out- mainly on the side opposite the pebble beach. I also planted my first purple iris to the left of the pond as well yesterday- I think I may try and build a bit of an iris collection. I think they're stunning!! 


I was also able to enjoy my first proper harvest the other day! My husband and I enjoyed tipping a bag of potatoes out! They look amazing and we're all perfectly formed in the pot even with super solid clay soil! So I look forward to eating these later this week!! 


No comments:

Post a Comment