Saturday 8 August 2015

The perfect summers day...

Today was the perfect summers day. A leasurly morning with the sun shining down. It was about 20 degrees here today so I got the bike out and headed up to the allotment. 



I was happy to see my aubergine and in fact all the greenhouse plants are looking happy. There's plenty peppers and jalapeƱos now, and even though I thought I wasn't going to get any tomatoes this year (plants given my a neighbouring allotment) they've finally decided to produce tomatoes; until now it was just the flowers!


I harvested a cucumber 2 days ago. I wasn't really sure when was best to harvest. But it seemed to have stopped growing and I was worried that it was going to go yellow and over ripen so I took the plunge. 


Perfect timing as well I think! It was perfect inside, so today I had some of it with my lunch which is always nice to do. 


I have been disappointed my the butternut squash on the plot. I have 2 in large bucket style pots which seem to be doing really well! Leaves are still green, they're flowering nicely and there's a few baby squash on each plant. I wish I had planted all five in the pots now (as I was originally going to do) but instead I put three of them in ground where the strawberries once were (though not for long) I'd been giving them plenty of water, as well as the rain we'd had, I'd also fed them a bit as I wasn't sure how much nutrients were in the ground. They seemed like they were going to do really well! Suddenly plenty of flowers appeared and a couple of baby fruits appeared but then over the space of a few days the leaves all turned yellow and today they pretty much looked dead. So really sad about that; but it is all a learning curve!! Just need to try and figure out why they died. Will give them a good look over next time I go- It may be a bug. 



I did enjoy spending time watching the pond today. There were frogs everywhere. I crouched down on the pebbly beach section for a while, and it almost seemed to become a game of 'Where's Wally?' It's sometimes quite hard to spot them hiding in the pond plants and in the grasses around the outside but it was really fun trying to spot them all. This little guy on the white pebbles underneath was hiding in the grass just before the pebbles, so he quickly hopped off when I arrived, though seemed to enjoy sitting on the pebbles for a little while; or as I call it, the beach!
 There were some quite sizeable frogs sitting around the outside of the pond. I feel really happy that I've been able to create a suitable habitat for a range of creatures.

Two days ago we also took an old rotting log along to put behind the pond under the bamboo plant. It has been sitting in my concreted back yard for about 2 years now and plenty things had already moved in due to the north facing but sheltered and damp environment it lived in. But I figured it can continue to rot down behind the pond and it can become a home for plenty insects.
 I'm also looking forward to creating an insect hotel. I've gotten inspiration from Pinterest for some really cute but rustic ones just made from things collected. So I will try and make one before the summer holidays are out. Only 3 more weeks left unfortunately. 

No comments:

Post a Comment