Tuesday 18 August 2015

Plans for Autumn/winter

Well, it's safe to say that on lovely sunny summer days I'm glad that a turfed garden area was part of my plan. 


My husband has decided he finds the wheelbarrow to be a comfortable seat. He may get a little upset when I bring just a regular garden table and chairs along!


But after a bit of work on the allotment the other day it was time to lie on the grass, eat some blackberries and read my Kindle. Perfect!

I am now planning on installing a bird feeding station, an allotment away from mine is lined with older trees and we can always hear plenty of birds in there. So figured I'd continue to do my bit for the local wildlife and feed the birds. 

So, my to-buy list this week is:

• bird feeding station
• individual seed/food holders
• plenty of bird food
• manual hand-push lawn mower 
• lawn rake

The last 2 things on the list is because I couldn't have asked the grass to take any better than it has! So very happy about that- though now it's starting to go to seed so it needs cutting this week! I'm glad it took so well though, for the grand total of pretty much £20 it was totally worth it!

I've also developed an obsession with Sarah Raven. I ordered the autumn catalogue so I can plan my bulbs for the spring time. The website and catalogue is amazing. The colours are just beautiful so I plan on getting plenty tulip bulbs, albums, crocuses and bluebells. Can't wait to see the allotment in spring time!

We've also been planning our raised beds for creating in the autumn/winter so they're ready for spring planting. So another job this week is to removed all the weeds I'd put to dry out (which I'd left on top of the tarpaulin) onto the compost heap. There's plenty of bricks/stones on there too so it won't be the easiest of jobs but it needs to be done. I want to lift the tarpaulin and start making the raised beds on that side of the plot before the frogs decide it would be the perfect place to hibernate!! 


No comments:

Post a Comment