Sunday 3 May 2015

Pumpkin disaster...

So, it's been a little while but I'm afraid things got a little busy, at home, at work and of course on the allotment. So I haven't just been hiding in my house doing nothing, things on the allotment have been happening.

One of the things I learned was a vital lesson! I live in Tynemouth, right on the sea front, so we actually warm up a lot faster and have a lot less early morning frosts thanks to the salt in the air. My allotment however is about a mile and a half inland from where I live, and this actually makes a lot of difference! I'm sure you can see where I'm going with this...


These are my baby pumpkins! I got very excited about them! I used the little seed trays and kept them in the house on windowsills and things. And they were doing super!


As you can see they came up really well - nice and strong and looking really healthy! This was at the beginning of April, so as I didn't want to put them in the ground so early I moved them into larger pots...


They continued to do really well! So in the end, as it had warmed up a fair bit (In Tynemouth!) I moved them to the allotment where I finally planted them out. I was very excited! My first real vegetable in the ground!!

However, this was short lived, as I went back a few days later and discovered that they had all died! Goes to show, I really hadn't thought about the frosts, as a nice man next to my plot told me they were still suffering with early frosts. Rookie mistake that I'm not going to make again!!



On the plus side I did make a gate! There was an old bed frame in the garage of my husbands granddad's house, so I used the frame and turned it into a gate. I was pretty proud of myself, only took about an hour and was totally free! So even better! Eventually I will paint it the same colour as my future shed, but not just yet!


April proved to be super warm on the allotment during the day though! I am in a bit of a sun trap as well, so it was glorious! Especially the fortnight after the Easter holidays! So much so you can see my husband enjoying our rather lovely 'Wheelbarrow seat' Hopefully we will have a table and chairs in the future...

No comments:

Post a Comment